Friends Board Meeting
The next Friends Board Meeting will be held Saturday, November 18th from 3 to 4:30 pm, location TBA. An agenda will be posted in early November.
Call for Nominations to Board of Directors (4 Positions)
The Friends are recruiting volunteers for four two-year board positions with terms beginning November 1, 2023. If you are passionate about the trails and would like to take a leadership role in helping the Friends’ serve its mission to protect, promote and maintain the health and safety of the trails and its users, consider joining us!
A Director’s role involves a commitment of between 15-25 hours a year. Executive Board positions generally require double that effort. We hold four 2-3 hour meetings a year and encourage board members to get involved in supporting a couple of activities throughout the year as well. Among the types of activities Board members may engage in are:
- Helping to organize and/or participate in trail clean-up in their community
- Planning or developing a trail-related education program (e.g. Explorer Program)
- Writing an article on (birding, the history of the Monticello Wool Mill, etc.) for the Friends’ Newsletter
- Contacting a local (school, non-profit, business) organization to recruit volunteers for an event
- Recruiting a presenter for and organizing a trail-related public lecture (e.g. Bats of the Stewart Tunnel)
- Writing a grant for funds to build a kiosk or repair a bridge on a trail
- Thinking of creative new ideas to promote and protect the trails and its users!
Interested in nominating yourself for a Board position? Please send a two to three paragraph biography introducing yourself, your interest in the Friends’ group, and your qualifications in an email to the Friends’ Board of Directors at: email@example.com no later than Friday, October 6th. Any current Board Directors seeking re-election should let the Executive Committee know of their desire to run for a position by Friday, October 6th.
STEWART TUNNEL CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
The Department of Natural Resources has closed the Stewart Tunnel on the Badger State Trail due to a lack of structural integrity and falling debris. All trail users are prohibited from going through the tunnel until further notice. Visit our Announcements page for more information about the tunnel closure or visit: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/badger/.
The Friends of the Badger and Sugar River State Trails needs you! We keep you current on trail conditions, update you on the status of the Stewart Tunnel, share upcoming events and, above all, educate about and advocate for the preservation of the trails. If you have been thinking about joining the Friends of the Badger and Sugar River State Trails but haven’t yet done so, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make sure you receive a copy of our newsletter. You may also download and send in our FOBSRST Membership Form today or pay with Square online.
Individual Membership: $10
Household Membership: $15
Senior Membership: $8
Business or Group Membership: $20