What is an Explorer Award?
An Explorer Award
recognizes people who have explored the recreational trails in Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois within a given year. The trails can be explored on foot, skis, bicycle or a combination. This includes the Badger Trail
(40 miles) and connecting trails, the Sugar River
(23 miles) and Jane Addams
This map shows all 3 trails.
How do I Earn an Award?
We offer two awards: the Badger Explorer and the Trail Explorer. The requirements for each are listed below:
Badger Explorer Award
• Cycle the entire Badger Trail from Madison to the Illinois border, a total of 40 miles
• Find answers to five trivia type questions while on the trail
• Submit at least two photos
• Submit a short journal of your experiences while riding the trail.
Trail Explorer Award
• Cycle the Badger Trail (40 mi) and its connecting trails, the Sugar River (23 mi) and Jane Addams (17 mi), a total of 80 miles
• Find answers to ten trivia type questions
• Submit at least three photos
• Submit a short journal of your experiences.
What Do I Get?
Upon completion of either program,
your name will be listed on our web site along with your photos and journal, and you will be invited to our annual awards meeting where you’ll receive a certificate, patch and bike related prizes.
READ the adventures of the Dalby family of explorers from 2017!
Read Past Explorer Stories
from 2016 and before and be inspired to join them.
Sign Me Up!
Fill out this online form
to sign up for the Explorer Program and to receive this year's scavenger hunt questions!
Download our Brochure!
For a hard copy of our brochure, download
Here are some FAQs
on the Explorer program.
Got a Question?